We interrupt this contest for a special announcement.

First of all, if you want to win the 18×24 poster, go read all about it and enter. The contest ends tomorrow, so hurry it up. And now for a very special announcement…

I’ve been waiting to make the formal announcement until after I’d told some people in person (or over the phone). I just didn’t want them to find out from the blog. And now that I think about it, probably 90% of my readers are those people, so for the other 10% of you who might not even know me and therefore don’t really care, this is for you?

I’m pregnant. Just kidding. But Andrea is, and Paige and Amy just gave birth, and well…I was feeling a little left out. Plus I lie sometimes. No, the real announcement is…

I’m engaged!! Kidding again. I told you I lie. And now no matter what I say, you won’t believe me. I may as well just hang it up. No? You’re still curious? Ok fine…

I’m moving back to Raleigh. And here’s where I pause to let you not believe me for a second before I try to convince you that I’m serious. It’s sort of a long story, and I still have mixed feelings about it, but it looks like I’m moving on July 31. The feelings I have are as follows:

  • Bummed outedness. I love Asheville. Asheville is great. I love living in such proximity to downtown, I love walking around downtown, I love just being here, I LOVE waking up at 9 and not having to be anywhere most days until 6:30 p.m. And I’m just starting to make more friends and really feel at home, but I know this is the right move.
  • Relief. I know I’m southern, and that it is therefore impolite, impertinent, unladylike and possibly dangerous to discuss my finances in such a public forum, but let’s be honest. I’m running out of money, and the job in Raleigh pays WAY better than it does here. It’s like lots of wealthy people have moved into Asheville from other places, driving the cost of living up, but the wages haven’t caught up yet. So I’m living at medium-sized city prices on small town wages.
  • Excitement. Living here has, in one way or another, shown me what I really want out of a city, and it’s not that Raleigh doesn’t have those things. It’s just that I didn’t know I needed to find them before – things like a writing group, the quiet of nature, and a Trader Joe’s. (I knew how great TJ’s was before. I just took it for granted.) But now that I know what I’m looking for, I feel like I can go back and do things better than I did when I lived there before. Maybe I’ll even take that adult dance class I’m always talking about.

    I’m also excited that I get to hang out with all my buddies again regularly; I’ma Call You Josh (our Rock Band band) can get back together and go on a reunion tour. I’ll finally be able to save money again, perhaps to take a trip in 2011. I won’t have to drive 30 minutes to work every day. I won’t have to work four nights a week (just two). I won’t be so far away from everybody (2 hours to Wilmington, 4 to Asheville, 2.5 to WILKESBORO!!!!!, 5 to D.C., international airport just up the road). I’ll be back with an awesome group of co-workers and a great boss.

I’ll definitely have to come up and visit Asheville a LOT now that I know people and love it (and now that I’ll be able to afford to do things here), so don’t you fret, Ashevillains. I won’t forget about you. You’ve all been great, and I’ll miss you. A lot. More than you know.

And hey, if anyone knows of a place I can live in Raleigh for say…$400 a month around Wade Ave., Cameron Village or 5-Points, let me know. I could probably go as high as $500, but I’d rather not. And I would also consider places off of Tryon, Duraleigh or the Six Forks/Wake Forest Rd./Atlantic Ave. area. Nothing too shady or drunken college student-infested, please. I have to get up early for work.

Now. Who’s going to take aerobic pole dancing classes with me?

Author: beth

I'm told that I'm cleverly stupid, and that's why people are friends with me. And here I thought it was because I was so dang cute...

4 thoughts on “We interrupt this contest for a special announcement.”

  1. Yay! I’ll take the class with you. And get burritos with you. But not at the same time. That could be gross. 🙂 Love ya partner!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *