Ok so even though it’s the end of our vacation week, I’m really excited that it’s Friday so I can give you this recipe! We made it the other night, and it was AMAAAAZIIIIINNNG (done in a sing-song voice for best effect)!!! If you’re a vegetarian on the 21-Day Fix, I would estimate that about a cup and a half of this soup equals 1 red, 1 green, 1-2 yellows, and 1 teaspoon. If you’re not a vegetarian, I would estimate that the same amount is 1 green, 2-3 yellows, and 1 teaspoon. I also added tofu to mine for an extra red container, and Will added chicken to his. If you’ve got a blue to spare, I highly recommend the avocado, and if you’re not on the 21-Day Fix at all, dude, go to Trader Joe’s and get you some Mexican Cheese. Go crazy.
Here we go. For this, you will need:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color is fine, but I like red)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 carton veggie broth or stock
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen, or I imagine grilled/roasted would be delicious)
- 1 cup white hominy
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and well-rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and well-rinsed
- sliced avocado (optional)
- Mexican cheese blend (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
Ok, now it’s very easy.
- Sautee the garlic, onions, bell pepper and garbanzos in the olive oil until fragrant.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano, and sautee for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and broth. Bring it to a boil, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the hominy, corn, green chiles and black beans. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Top it off with the any of the optional ingredients you want. Serve and eat!