I like a lot of different genres, songs and artists for a lot of different reasons, but when it comes down to it, I like the music I like because it makes me happy. The show tunes make me catch my breath every time because the magic of the theater hits me every time. The spunky 80s songs make my feet tap uncontrollably, and I can’t help but want to jump around like Wham! on uppers. Anything with a fiddle and a banjo is guaranteed to make me smile automatically. The sad, soulful Brit girls just get me, and that’s all there is to it. The oldies take me back to my childhood riding in my mom’s van. Chicago takes me back to my childhood riding in my dad’s Jeep. And sometimes a lyric will hit me just right, and I can’t get enough of it. I’ll roll it around in my brain and on my tongue, and it satisfies me in a way that only well-crafted words can.
This summer, I’ve got a few songs I can’t get enough of because they make me happy in one way or another. I’m putting them all together in a playlist as a sort of time capsule. I’ll add to it over the next couple of months for sure, but next year, when my life is totally different (as it always is from year to year), I’ll be able to listen to it and, in doing so, hear everything I want to remember from the summer of 2012.
So far, it’s an hour of happiness.
- My Generation – The Who
- Hit ‘Em Up Style – Carolina Chocolate Drops
- I Want You to Be My Love – Over the Rhine
- Murder in the City – The Avett Brothers
- Merry Happy – Kate Nash
- All Day and All of the Night – The Kinks
- You Don’t Know Me – Ben Folds (with Ingrid Michaelson)
- Stay With Me Baby – Duffy
- Home – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
- Elenore – The Turtles
- Hey, Soul Sister – Train
- Would It Be Nice – The Beach Boys
- Quelqu’un M’a Dit – Carla Bruni
- These Arms of Mine – Otis Redding
- At Last – Etta James
- Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show
- Tik Tok – Ke$ha